Betsy

Betsy's Non-Blog

I'm not a blogger. I just love to read.

Blindsighted
Karin Slaughter
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Yuval Noah Harari Dr
The Silver Ships
S. H. Jucha

Connected Health: How mobile phones, cloud, and big data will reinvent healthcare - Jody Ranck This book is available only in e-book format and I recommend it be read on a tablet or bigger computer. It contains a lot of charts and illustrations that are difficult to see on the smaller e-readers. There are also many links to other articles and publications that are better read on a larger device.

It's a short quick read, but it starts a little slowly. The first few chapters seem to be something of a survey of the different technologies available or under development in the field of health -- both e-health (digital) and m-health (mobile). But even though it was a little dry, it was interesting to me to see how many devices, programs, platforms, and applications there are already. Three trends that I found particularly interesting were crowdsourced research, the "quantified self" movement, and the fact that a lot of the innovation is taking place far away from the industrialized nations.

In the later chapters, the author talks about implications of the trends, politics, problems, and recommendations. This goes much faster and is even more interesting.

There are no groundbreaking solutions proposed; it's more just an introduction to the current situation and the potential future of the field. But it's definitely worth reading if you're at all interested in health care and technology.